In our men’s mental health treatment program, we treat clients with depression, bipolar disorder, trauma and PTSD, and other complex mental health disorders. Beginning with comprehensive assessments, treatment includes expert psychiatric care and trauma-focused therapies like EMDR.
Symptoms of Mental Health Issues in Men
Many mental health disorders affect men but they’re less likely to ask for help or talk about how they feel. For example, more than 6 million men experience depression each year, but rather than talk to a mental health professional about sadness or hopelessness they describe symptoms like loss of interest or focus at work, fatigue, anger or irritability. In addition, more than four times as many men commit suicide as women.
Other signs of men’s mental health issues include:
- Changes in mood, appetite, sleep habits or energy level
- Feeling on edge, unfocused or restless
- Unusual thinking
- Feeling more stressed or worried
- Suicidal thinking
- Behaviors that worry loved ones
- Substance abuse or other destructive behaviors
- Feeling numb or unable to experience positive feelings
- Physical problems like pain, stomach issues or headaches
Why a Men’s Mental Health Treatment Center?
Mental health disorders can compromise your physical health and your ability to fulfill responsibilities at work and at home. Left untreated, depression and anxiety can increase the risk of heart disease and ulcers, among other health issues. In our men’s rehab center, clients:
- Develop new coping skills to replace destructive behaviors like drug or alcohol abuse
- Improve communication and relationships
- Become better able to contribute at work and in the community
- Build a support network with other men sharing similar struggles
- Learn decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Share openly without judgment
- Discuss issues that are relevant to them
- Boost their quality of life and overall satisfaction
A Supportive, Gender-Specific Setting
Recognizing the impact that gender roles have on men in our culture, we encourage our clients to embrace vulnerability and give them the tools to express themselves openly and honestly. Clients in our men’s rehab center benefit from a gender-specific (but not gender-exclusive) setting, which means clients can feel safe sharing difficult feelings without distraction or inhibition, without missing out on supervised opportunities to practice engaging in healthy interactions with members of the opposite gender.
We help men function at their very best in an atmosphere of openness and acceptance. Because men are sometimes uncomfortable talking about their feelings, one of our first goals is to build strong bonds among peers and develop trust and rapport between therapist and client. Group therapy at Lucida offers support and useful feedback. Many of our clients develop healthy friendships that continue long after treatment.
Realize Your Full Potential
The vast majority of people (83%) will face mental illness at some point in their lives, according to a study published in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology.
Because of social and cultural messages, many men learn from a young age that vulnerability makes them weak. They aren’t permitted to cry, express pain or sadness or ask for help. Sometimes as adults men are so disconnected from their emotions that they don’t recognize signs of depression or anxiety. In treatment, we rebuild this connection by creating a supportive network of men who find strength in sharing feelings without judgment.
It isn’t easy to ask for help. We honor your courage by making this process straightforward, creating a supportive environment where clients are free to be themselves, and tailoring treatment to each person’s unique needs.